The County Council Brasov has allotted millions of Euro for the rehabilitation of the county's most important medieval fortifications which are the main attraction for tourists. Among them we mention Fortresses Rasnov, Fagaras, Feldioara and Rupea. They are all rich in history, legends, customs and traditions. These investments are part of a more complex project initiated by the county of Brasov, which also includes the Old Fortress of Brasov. Restoration, preservation and rehabilitation works have been carried out on the walls, towers and bastions of this fortress. This way the fortifications once surrounding the medieval Brasov regained their former grandeur.
"Under the walls of the stone fortress from Fagaras (14th-17th centuries) lie the remains of another wooden fortification (12th -13th centuries) and because of that the restoration works of the fortress have to be carried out with a lot of care. Later on the fortress became a prison (1950-1960); then it was closed and a major restoration program began and it still continues nowadays. In 2012 the County Council Brasov allotted two million Euro for the restoration of Fagaras Fortress. Currently, inside this important medieval site there is the Museum Tara Fagarasului "Valeriu Literat" and the Municipal Library", said Mr. Artistotel Cancescu, Chairman of the County Council Brasov, who initiated this project.
Feldioara Fortress, known as the Clay Fortress (translation from Hungarian) or Marienburg (Maria's Fortress translated from German), is strongly related to Teutonic Knights about whom people say their patron was Virgin Mary (1240). The initial towers and curtains were probably built by the Saxon people after chasing the Teutons away, but the exact period is not known.
Today, this historical site is rapidly degrading and because of that in 2012 the County Council Brasov allotted 1 million Euro for its restoration.
The most important restoration works of all its contemporary history began in 2011on Rasnov Fortress. At the initiative of Chairman Aristotel Cancescu, the County Council Brasov allotted to the Fortress` owner, namely the Town Hall of Rasnov, a financial aid of two million lei to complete the emergency works on the lower part of the fortress. Rasnov Fortress is one of the most important medieval monuments in Romania and the current image of the fortress as fortified fair dates back to the 17th century.