Viscri village is part of Bunesti commune and became famous thanks to ?Mihai Eminescu Trust? and the local Fastened Church. Everything is particular in this community, from the exterior and interior paintings of the houses and to local people preoccupations.
History and Present
Caroline Fernolend, president of ?Mihai Eminescu Trust?- Viscri branch, considers that everyone in the village has the possibility to make money in the agricultural ecological tourism, selling products of their own household or practicing ancient arts. ?Through our professional training program, 40 men became carpenters or masons, 10 women have received the diploma which allows them to open an agro-touring pension; most of the women in the village knit wool socks they sell. Two of our best construction workers teams, instructed by teachers and specialists from England, Germany and Romania, have established their own restoration companies?.
For her efforts in supporting the people in the area, Caroline Fernolend has received the prestigious international prize Ecce Homo - Dalai Lama is among the previous winners.
The Fastened Church
The Fastened Chirch of Viscri (which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage) has been partially restored, in collaboration with the World Bank. The first mention in documents dates back to 1185. At the end of 15th century, the church has been transformed into a fastened church with an aisle of defense. Today, the religious services is officiated every two weeks. Tourists can admire the museum arranged inside it, at the initiative of Gabriel Lambescu, an inspired and visionary architect, who fought tirelessly to save the cultural heritage of Transylvania.