Ecaterina?s Gate is one of the most ancient and beautiful gates of the Brasov?s Citadel, still conserving its original shape. Across time it has been called Porta Superior, Porta Corpus Christi or Porta sanctae Katharinae. For several centuries it has been the only gate crossing the western citadel?s walls. The four towers square building, as jurisdictional mark, was fitted with a folding bridge with chains to permit the access over the water dike; inside, the defenders were sitting on several ranges wood galleries.
Fires and Earthquakes
Ecaterina?s Gate wad built in 1559; historians also think it was rebuilt over an ancient one ? The Holly Spirit?s Gate. The fires in 1689 and 1759 left their marks, same as the earthquake in 1738. For more than a century, it was walled and used as repository. Between 1971-1973 it has been restored at its actual shape. Over the entrance lies the town?s blazonry; a fragment of the ancient town?s wall can be seen sideways.
A Symbol of Brasov
Aristotel Cancescu, president of the County Council Brasov, proudly announced the recent rehabilitation of the gate. ?We have now the pleasure to collaborate with the Architects Order of Romania, heaving its seat at the monument?s ground floor. The County Council made the repairs and internal arrangements, saving at least two of the gate?s towers from crushing. Ecaterina?s gate is a symbol of Brasov and an important touring attraction point, as the whole Brasov?s Citadel. The little but coquet park surrounding the gate is probably the most achieved park in Brasov?.
Culture and Architecture
According to Nicolae Taric, president of the Architects Order Brasov ?Harghita-Covasna, the gate will host administrative and cultural activities. ?The policy of market?s reconquering by the architects ? as image, corporation and partners for the community ? is meant to constitute urban culture and architectural centres. The gate will host our professional meetings and exhibits opened to the public?.
The inauguration of Ecaterina?s Gate occasioned the renewal of a medieval local tradition: the brass bands concerts. Henceforth till October, the brass bands will delight on weekends both inhabitants and tourists on the locations already traditional: Saturday Piata Sfatului and Sunday ? the pavilion on the Alley at the foot of Tampa hill.