Bod commune is located at the central part of Barsa depression, where river Olt exists the narrow path separating Lempes Hill and Baraolt Mountains. It compasses the Bod Colony and Bod village, 14 km distant from Brasov.
The Burnt Village
The origins of village Bod go back to the Neolithic. The settlement is mentioned in the 13th century documents, around 1211, when the Saxon colonists between Rhine and Mosel have been moved here. The community has been constituted around the evangelic church. The village was destroyed and burnt several times by the Cumans and the Tartars around 1241, as testified by the German name of the village ?Brenndorf? (the burnt village). In 1889 were established the Sugar Factory and the Colony.
Heroes without Graves and Crosses
?The Bod?s Days?, organized by the County Council Brasov, the Centre for the Conservation and Promotion of the Traditional Culture Brasov and Bod Town hall, are dedicated to the heroes without graves and crosses. The event, arrived at its 11th edition, gathered all the inhabitants and war veterans, who attended a remarkable folkloric program. On this occasion, the new church of Bod was hallowed; a religious service and military honours were celebrated at the heroes? monuments of Bod Village and Bod Colony.
According to the mayor Paul Cernat, ?The Bod?s Days are related to the Christian feast of Ascension, when the souls rise to the sky. The heroes gave their lives for the country, profoundly aware of their duty. Unfortunately, the number of war veterans of Bod is getting every year lesser; only 12 of them are still alive?.