The commune Harman encompasses two villages: Hraman and Podu Olt, with a peculiar rural tourism potential. Besides the historic heritage, the patrimony comprises several attractions such as the natural reserves Lempes Hill and Harman Swamp.
The Citadel became Museum
The locality is first mentioned in documents in 1240. The territory is given to the Cistercian monks in 1377. In 1455, the land is bequeathed to Saint Bartholomew Church, which would hold it till the 19th century, when the growing up industry will determine the intensive working of the infields. Harman Stronghold dates back to the 13th century, when the Saxons, the majority population, built the original church. The Citadel is now a museum and is included in the touring circuit.
Processions and field-sports
The mayor of Harman, Mihai Dişor, is proud to guide the destiny of an historic community which gathered two ethnic populations: Romanians and Germans. For them, and for the emigrated natives who have chosen Germany as residence, the town hall and the local council organized the first edition of ?Harman?s Days?. After the religious service celebrated at the church, the participants walked in procession, guided by the brass band, till the Stronghold, where an outdoor stage had been setup. The beer flooded, the meat roasted on grill and the youngsters competed on various contests. The competition?s organizer Alexandru Popescu offered the winners of the football tour cups and diplomas, as well as those who won the cross contest.
The Origins? Call
According to mayor Dişor, a lot of German residents came on leave to attend this event. ?We had guests from abroad; we were happy to see that many of those who had chosen to emigrate once in Germany, but also a lot of young people working abroad, returned among us. A feast like ?Harman?s Days? can gather those people and perpetuate a tradition which throws its roots more than 100 years back. There is a comfortable feeling to see they didn?t forget theirs origins?.
The animals? lovers took part at a horses? exhibition, where equines worthing fortunes were put on display. The most beautiful horses took medals while the owners got diplomas. The stud Relu, 4 years old, the horse Bator and the sevenyearsold mare Doina made a good impression. The owner is Nicu Lacatusu from Feldioara; the sexagenarian declared himself happy for the stallion recovered from freshening, in only one year, the amount paid for him.