Saint Peter commune is located in Brasov Hollow, on DJ 103, 6 km distant from Brasov, at the foot of Lempes Hill. The population of 3500 inhabitants has a heterogenic structure: Romanians, Germans and Magyars live in harmony in this locality firs attested by documents in 1240.
The architectonic monuments and the natural reserve ?Lempes Hill? made the fame of the commune, whose notoriety is also due to the rare plants growing in the reserve such as the spring adonis and the spotted tulip.
The two churches, evangelic and orthodox, are not just architectural monuments but the proof of the comity between the inhabitants of Saint Peter, regardless their ethnic origin and beliefs.
The evangelic church dates back to the 13rd century, but it has completely demolished in 1794. There are traces of paintings on the precinct walls dating back to around 1240, when the Cistercian order became the church?s patron. The fastened church suffered sever damages during the Turkish invasion in Tara Barsei, in 1432, that destroyed Saint Peter village as well. The reconstruction of the church started in 1795 on the same emplacement and included a bell tower on the eastern side.
The orthodox church was erected in 1781; the mural paintings on the inside and outside walls date back to 1784.
Conserving and modernise
According to the Saint Peters mayor, Ion Rusu, in order to integrate itself into a European perception, the commune must invest not only in the conservation of its patrimony, but also in renewal activities. This is why the authorities focus on the rehabilitation and restyling of the infrastructure, creating conditions to educate and prepare the youths. The public lightning, the streets, the schools and the dispensary was modernized; a sport base and play-grounds for kids were established. Nine hundred ornamental trees were planted on the main streets, providing freshness to the locality.
The most important feast of the commune is ?Saint Peter?s Days?, celebrated every year on Saints Peter and Paul? day. The manifestations took place this year on the Aerodrome of ?Iosif Silimon? Airclub. The parade of the popular dance and clothes was accompanied by the folkloric show performed by the bands ?Spring Adonis?, ?Carpathian Stag? and the German dances band ?Das Gruppe Zeiden? Codlea.
The audience enjoyed an aerial acrobatic show, combined with sightseeing flights with light airplanes, demonstrative flights and an aircraft exhibition organized by the members of ?Iosif Silimon? Airclub.
The Zamolxis Cult
At the tenth edition of Saint Peter?s feast of this year also participated the well-known riders of the ancient part of Brasov ?Junii Brasovecheni?, led by their president Mihai Moraru. ?We represent the ancient Brasov, a tradition that goes back to 770 years ago. Our cloths remind the antique array of our ancestor Dacians; the dacian round dance is the only round that opens at the left while our costume to through up the mace is a vestige of Zamolxis cult? Moraru stated.