The sacred holiday of Christmas, the most waited for throughout the year, is a moment when families come together, when all bad things are left aside and when we try to be better. Our ancestors left us some customs and superstitions related to Christmas Eve. They say that should you follow them, you will be rewarded with fortune and wealth in the year to come.
Therefore, if you want to have a productive following year, you should take into consideration some advice of the elderly in the Christmas Eve, in order to have good fortune.
The Christmas tree, symbol of Christmas
The symbol of Christmas is the Christmas tree. Even if you bought it long before the holiday, you should only decorate it on Christmas Eve. Put some white beans in a small sack and hang it in the tree; they symbolise the cleaning of the soul. Romanian people bring mistletoe inside for Christmas, as they say it brings good fortune and prosperity, it drives away fighting and maintains harmony in the family, clears out diseases, bad luck and demons.
After you have made all these preparations, open your door to carol singers. Their wishes bear magic forces, they transmit health, bring prosperity and make wishes come true in the year to come.
They say it is good to put a homemade bagel and a glass of wine on the table for the spirits of those who are no longer with us. Out of the ancient superstitions, it is also worth mentioning:
- Do not drink red wine in the New Year?s Eve. Red wine can only be drunk in the Christmas day;
- Do not work on Christmas Eve. They say you will be working hard all year long;
- Do not borrow or lend money or other objects on New Year?s Eve;
- Bring back home everything you have lent throughout the year;
- Do not sow, do not do laundry, or else you will be bringing diseases in your family in the year to come;
- It is good to fast this day, thus honouring the Nativity of Jesus. Only this way we will have good fortune and we will be blessed in the year to come;
The Christmas Eve is special for the family reunion. Go back home, thus the family will be united for the entire year. It is good to invite over for dinner a poor person or to offer gifts to the less fortunate people. They say that the first person to enter a house for Christmas must be a man, this being a sign of wealth and health for the next year. In order to attract good over the family houses, prepare a rich meal, and keep the table spread all night long. Do not forget to thank God for all your accomplishments and joys throughout the year.