Dumbravita is situated in the Western part of Tara Barsei, at the entrance to Persani Narrow Pass. The village has had many names over the time. It was called Schnakendorf ? the village of Tintari, or Mukoschdorf ? the village of Mosite in the 14th century when the Teutons and Transylvanian Saxons settled here. Under Hungarian occupation, the village`s name was Szunyogszeg ? Coltul (corner) of Tintarilor. The name was changed again to Dumbravita by the administration bodies, in the last years. The name of "Tintari" (meaning mosquitoes) was given because of the so many mosquitoes living in the nearby lakes.
The church, sanctified by Andrei Şaguna
The current church building stands on the site of an old log wood church, with no plastering and covered with straws. The exact location of the church remains unknown. The current church was built between 1864-1868 with church funds and the contribution of parishioners. The church was sanctified in 1868 by memorial Andrei Saguna, Metropolitan of Ardeal. The church has two architectural characteristics: the body itself which preserves the traditional structure of Orthodox naves, and the trefoil shaped apses housing the altar and the two lateral aisles. The church was painted between 1984-1986 and it was resanctified in 1998 by Antonie Plamadeala, Archbishop of Sibiu and Metropolitan of Ardeal.
Icons and frescos
"Unfortunately, the church was not declared a historical monument. However, among its valuable items from the historical and artistic point of view, we mention the altarpiece painted by the famous Misu Pop in 1868, the tower clock dating back to 1875, several 18th and 19th century-old glass-painted icons, as well as worship books edited starting with 1742. All these are being kept in a museum inside the church. Other tourist attractions include fortresses, historical monuments, natural monuments, parks and reserves, etc., as well as cultural festivals during the year," said Mr. Zachiu Popa, Mayor of Dumbravita.
The Days of Dumbravita
The Days of Dumbraviţa are organized each year with the support of the Town Hall. The purpose of this festival is to promote long time preserved customs and traditions. The participants to this event can enjoy the exceptional performance of the folk dance group "Dealurile Dumbravitei" as well as the performance of talented young children from the local middle school and of modern and folk music singers. The entire village celebrates and the event is seen as a preparation for the coming winter holidays.